Random Quotes from quote4all.net

EVERYONE READ THIS BEFORE CONTINUING!!!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:30PM EST

Welcome to my blog!

First I'd like to welcome everyone to my blog on Blogger. And I'd like to encourage all of you to submit suggestions for links to include here as well as suggestions for other content. There are a few things to keep in mind when visiting this site however.

1. I should point out that often times I express my opinions on matters rather vehemently, as such it's entirely possible that you may not agree with them, however they are MY opinions and if I understand the protections afforded me by the First Amendment of The Constitution of The United States of America correctly I am freely permitted to express them as I see fit, even to the point of criticizing the behavior of public/private figures and/or corporate/government entities without government interference (which I believe includes the court system of the United States as well, as they are part of the government).

2. If you are related in some manner to any of the content I have posted and you disagree with MY opinions regarding said content I refer you back to the above paragraph, this does not mean that you may not try to convince me to change my opinion on the topic, it just means that I am asserting my right as an American Citizen to 'speak my mind'. If you manage to successfully change my opinion on a topic then I will gladly post another blog or edit the related content on my blog site as necessary, if not then I would suggest you reexamine the reasons why my opinion was such as it was and consider taking action on your end to rectify the reason for my opinion.

3. To any individuals/organizations seeking to use any of the content I provide here in their own medium (except of course those items that I have not created myself). You DO NOT have prior consent to do so. If you wish to utilize any of the material presented here that I myself have created you MUST contact me beforehand to obtain written permission to do so before you include said content in your own medium. My contact information can be found to the right.

4. By remaining on this site and reading my blogs or accessing any other content on this site you acknowledge that you hold me free from any legal action by any corporate/government/public/private entity in regards to my opinions and presentation of the material on this site. As this is going to be placed on the main page of my blog it is assumed that by continuing onwards to any other portion of my blog you have read and agree to be bound by this agreement.

That said I hope everyone enjoys the content presented here!!

Aeronya Arai
(and before anyone asks, yes this is a pseudonym)

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Use Kfind in Dolphin to search for files

Ok, as many of my fellow KDE users know Kfind (the KDE file search utility) is no longer integrated into Dolphin or even launchable from a toolbar button any longer. Never fear though, there is a simple work around to still make it easy to use Kfind to search for files/folders from Dolphin. What you need to do is to right click on a folder that you want to search and choose 'Open With', then choose 'Other...' (at the bottom of the list of applications). Now you should be presented with a list showing the various application categories and a text entry field at the top, in the text entry field type in 'kfind' (without the quotes), now before you click 'Ok' make sure there are NO checks in any of the checkboxes on that window, otherwise you'll possibly run into problems (such as a console shell opening before Kfind opens and remaining open while Kfind is running, or possibly Kfind being launched by default when you double click on a folder with the intent to open it to browse it's contents, or if some other application tries to open a folder to show you the contents of it). As long as you have made sure there are no checkboxes checked you can now click 'Ok'. Kfind should open now with the 'Look in:' field filled in with the folder you clicked on. Of course you could always just launch Kfind from the launcher too and then browse to the folder you want it to search, but if you want a permanent easy way to launch Kfind without leaving Dolphin read below.

WARNING MAKE SURE YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW BEFORE PROCEEDING TO IMPLEMENT THEM ON YOUR SYSTEM, FAILURE TO DO SO COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS!! IN EITHER CASE PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DIFFICULTIES YOU MAY ENCOUNTER. THE STEPS OUTLINED BELOW HAVE BEEN TESTED AND KNOWN TO WORK ON KUBUNTU 12.04 32 BIT, WITH KDE VERSION 4.10.0.0 (AND A FEW VERSIONS PRIOR TO THAT), AND DOLPHIN VERSION 2.2. BUT SHOULD ALSO WORK WITH ANY VERSION OF KDE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO EDIT THE FILE ASSOCIATIONS AS OUTLINED.

If you want to make Kfind permanently available in the 'Open With' menu it takes a little more work. You'll need to create a file association for it to associate it with directories. You can do this by going into 'System Settings'>'File Associations' and expanding the section labeled 'inode' and choosing 'directory', then on the right side click the button labeled '+ Add...' and enter 'kfind' (without the quotes), don't check any checkboxes on that little window though. Then you'll need to move the newly created entry which will be labeled 'Find Files/Folders' down so that it's below your File Managers entry (in my case I moved it below the entry for Dolphin since I use Dolphin as my file manager). Once you've done that go ahead and click 'Apply' and you should be all set now. Now when you choose 'Open With' when you right click on a directory/folder you should see an entry for 'Find Files/Folders' (which is Kfind), you should also be able to right click on any empty space in the folder you're currently viewing (assuming you're not viewing in tree view, but have actually opened the entire folder in a tab/window of it's own) and be able to choose 'Open With' there to have Kfind search for items in the current folder. I hope this helps, Aeronya Arai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please limit your comments to the relevant blog entry, if you wish to submit suggestions for additional content or website links please use the email links provided in the 'Contact me:' section on the right side of the page. Thank You.